Sunday, August 17, 2008

Training week 8/11-8/17

This was not one of my better training weeks as I battled a pretty wicked cold and a worsening lower-back injury that was really bothering me into Saturday and Sunday. Fortunately, I still managed to get in 70 miles despite the cold, my back problem and travel plans over the weekend that limited my time.

Monday
PM: 5.25 miles on the treadmill with Noah

Tuesday
AM: 9 miles at 7:46 pace

Wednesday
AM: 9-mile track workout/intervals
5x1600 at the track at 5:58, 5:59, 5:53, 5:53 and 5:57 with 400-meter recoveries. This was a new track workout that was suggested to me by Tim C. Rather than do 3x1600 at near-maximum intensity, I pulled back a bit and did five one-mile repeats at just under 6 minutes each--right at what my 5K pace would be (though I haven't run a 5K in many years). I loved this workout. I think these five intervals were more valuable and beneficial than 3x1600s. For one thing, 3x1600s are 17 minutes of hard running. These 5x1600s gave me 29 minutes of hard running and I wasn't that far off my 3x1600 pace of about 5:40. By pulling back only about 13-15 seconds per mile, I was able to get in two extra mile repeats and, in the process, more quality mileage. This workout will now be a part of my speedwork regiment, as will 3x1600s and another new component I'm implementing--2x2 miles.

Thursday
AM: 9.1 miles easy
PM: 5 miles on the treadmill
Total miles for day: 14.1

Friday
AM: 8-mile tempo run
I didn't have much time to work with, which meant shorter warm-up and cool-down times. This run was on a pretty hilly course. My splits were: 1) 7:37 (warm-up), 2) 6:12, 3) 6:12, 4) 6:17, 5) 6:14, 6) 6:20, 7) 6:29, 8) 3:11 (.5 miles at tempo pace) and 4:06 (cool-down) for the last half mile. My back was really bothering me by the end.
PM: 6.1 miles in South Chagrin Reservation
Ran pretty hard on the trails, covering these 6.1 miles in 46:31. By the time I was done, my back was pretty well shot and I realized I was injured.
Total miles for day: 14.1

Saturday
AM: 8.16 miles in Wheeling, WV
This run was on a very hilly course that included a lap around my old high school. I felt horrible, partly from yesterday's tempo run but mostly because my back was really hurting.

Sunday
AM: 11.05 miles in Wheeling, WV
My back was still hurting but my legs felt much better. Once again I looped around my high school and also ran the entire cross-country trail. By the time I was done, I realized it would be a long car ride home with my ailing lower back.

Total miles for week: 70.66

My goals this week are to get my back in good shape (ice and ibuprofen) and get in about 75 miles with quality track and tempo workouts. At the track, I will go for 2x2 miles at 12 minutes each.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you schedule will be a bit less busy this week. Take care of that back.

    ReplyDelete