Monday, December 15, 2008

Hip to be square / Training week 12/8-12/14

This will probably be my briefest training week recap yet. I've fallen a little behind in my recaps, so I'm going to keep this post short.

Monday
AM: 6 miles at semi-easy pace on my treadmill
My right hip hurt a little--probably a case of bursitis. I had hip bursitis going into the 2006 Boston Marathon and it really cost me. I finished with a 3:24.

Tuesday
AM: 8.1 mile at 7:40 pace
My right hip was still hurting--kind of a dull ache but nothing that really slowed me down or made me want to quit.

Wednesday
AM: 8.1 miles at 7:30 pace
My hip felt the same as Tuesday. I iced it the night before. I began wondering on my run if I should shut down for a few days.

Thursday
AM: 8.1 miles at 7:30 pace
Shutting down isn't what I do unless I physically can't run. Fortunately, my hip was feeling better.

Friday
AM: 9.16 miles 7:15 pace
My hip didn't quite feel as good as the day before, but it wasn't bad. It was 30 degrees and clear--a nice morning for a run.

Saturday
AM: 15.05 miles in South Chagrin Reservation with the Southeast Running Club
I ran the first 8 miles with the group (Ted F., Tim C., Elizabeth H. Fast John et al) and then finished off by myself, as everyone left after we returned from the Polo Field. At 15 degrees, I was pretty cold toward the end and the trails were slick in spots, though they could have been much worse. Running 7 miles on the trails by yourself when you're freezing your ass off isn't always fun. Hip much better.

Sunday
PM: 12.6 miles in the Chagrin Valley and in and around South Chagrin Reservation
Noah woke up at 3:30 a.m. throwing up and looking pretty under the weather. I chose to bag the Sunday morning club run in Solon and instead hang out at home, helping take care of Noah. At about 2:00 p.m., I managed to get out for about an hour and half and ran pretty hard in the Chagrin Valley (where I run almost every morning) and in and around South Chagrin Reservation (where I wish I could run more than on just Sundays). Even as it was raining and had warmed up quite a bit, causing lots of snow melt, the trails in the park were in pretty good shape. I didn't even get too muddy. My last mile I really hammered it and had to run a half-mile cool-down. No hip pain/discomfort.

Total miles for week: 67.21
Total miles for month: 130.81
Total miles for year: 3,765.44

On a whim, I requested entry into the 2009 Winter Buckeye Trail 50K, contrary to what I said in my previous post about not wanting to run another winter ultra for the foreseeable future. Anyway, even as I knew the Winter Buckeye Trail 50K was full, I figured I'd be let into the race because I finished first overall in the 50K at the 2008 race. Well, I was wrong. The RD denied me, saying the race was full I missed my opportunity! Her denial may have been a blessing in disguise. I need to take it easy in January, not run 50Ks.

I continue thinking about my 2009 schedule. I'm now considering running the Glass City Marathon in late April. Glass City is in Toledo and the weather for this race is very unpredictable. Right now all I know is that in March I'm running the Lt. JC Stone 50K in Pittsburgh, and in June the Mohican Trail 100-Mile Run--both key events.

Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment