Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Quit Researching

This time of year I get lots of questions from folks interested in taking up running. It is exciting to see folks interested in running. Many have done "research" and are gathering information before they actually start running. Questions are often about shoes, frequency of workouts, how to balance the demands of life, etc.

Here is my straightforward advice based on 10 FAQs I get. As you will see, I am trying to keep this simple.
  1. What shoes should I wear/get? Whatever you have and whatever feels comfortable.
  2. How should I build up my fitness? By going for a run today. Then tomorrow. Then the day after tomorrow. And so on. Keep repeating.
  3. How often should I run a week? As often as you want.
  4. How do I balance the demands of life if I start running? I try to make my life simple and I also wake up before dawn to get in my runs. Anyone can do this.
  5. How do I wake up before dawn every day and keep that sustainable? By getting out of bed when the alarm goes off and then going to bed by 9 so you can get in adequate sleep.
  6. What do I do if it's super cold outside? Wear layers. As the saying goes, there's no such thing as bad weather; only bad preparation.
  7. What if it's dark outside? Bring a light.
  8. Should I stretch? If you feel tight.
  9. What should I eat? Fuel that is close to the source.
  10. What should I drink? Water.
That is all.

2 comments:

  1. Rule Number 4...

    4. Stop using "research" as a procrastination method. Yes, read articles and learn as much as you can, but most of what you learn will come from dedicated work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. The more you learn as you go, the more fun it is. It is fun to go into new activities not knowing everything. Let it come to you.

      Delete