Friday, July 15, 2011

Do You Have Leadville 100 Jitters?

I can't help but notice from my analytics that a lot of people are coming to this blog for Leadville 100 information.

This time last year I was nervous as could be about the Leadville 100. So nervous that I trained to the point of breakdown and showed up on race morning with a destroyed foot. This year, my outlook is totally different. I've put way more emphasis on trail and mountain running, run more for time than mileage (I'm getting in about 80-95 miles/11-15 hours a week) and incorporated a variety of practices (e.g., running as much on soft surfaces) to keep my 38-year-old body feeling as fresh as possible. Yoga stretches are now part of my training and I've gotten to the point that my ankles and calves are dramatically more flexible than last year. I also have new muscles in my shins! But most important of all, I'm at peace with my training and know what to expect from "The Race Across the Sky."

If there's one bit of advice I could give, it's to stay calm and loose now and through race day.

The next bit of advice I'd give is to start tapering no later than July 31. You can ruin your race by over-training in the 3-4 weeks leading to the big event. Your longest run should be no later than this coming weekend. Late July and certainly August before the race are not the times for super long training runs.

If you're new to Leadville and nervous about what's coming, I've posted a bunch of tips and information here.

Stay loose and relaxed...and get 'er done!

5 comments:

  1. I really wish that I were running again this year (now) but I am excited to pace my cousin (who did live in Wheeling a bit) in his attempt to finish this year. Next year I will go back.

    Are you doing the 50 this weekend Wyatt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy: I'm not doing Silver Rush. I think it's too close to the 100. I know a few folks who did the 50 last year and had some trouble recovering in time for the 100. I've already raced a lot this year--2 marathons (1 road, 1 trail), a 50K trail race (Cheyenne Mtn.), a 50-mile mountain race (Jemez) and the Mt. Evans Ascent. I might do a 5K or 10K in the next few weeks just for fun.

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess my two mountain hundreds this month is a bit much for my Leadville training? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Footfeathers: I think you're going to do quite well at Leadville. Good job at Hardrock!

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or... flop on my face. Either way, it'll be fun. Hope you have a good run there.

    ReplyDelete