Thursday, February 17, 2011

Eisenhower Marathon

I have registered for the Eisenhower Marathon. The race is in Abilene, Kansas on April 9 and is named in honor of Dwight Eisenhower, the great American president and Army general who lived in Abilene.

This is a huge race for me because a marathon PR is supremely important. I was so amped up about the 2010 Boston Marathon but never made it to Beantown because the race conflicted with our move to Denver. So I never got a shot at a new PR in Boston.

The 2011 Eisenhower Marathon is my shot. If the weather cooperates, my training stays strong and I'm healthy, I do believe a marathon PR is possible. My current PR is 2:58:28, set at the 2008 Cleveland Marathon. Since then, I've run two 2:59s--one of which was on a blown-up hamstring.

Eisenhower is an out and back run between 1,100-1,300 feet of elevation. So it's pretty much a sea level event. It has a few rolling hills, from what I understand. Living at 6,100+ feet, my hope is that the sea level air will be a huge benefit to me. Hard to say--we haven't gone to sea level since moving here.

My specific split goals for a sub-2:55 at Eisenhower will be in place as the race gets closer. But I would imagine my first-half split goal will be 1:27. My 20-mile split goal will be in the neighborhood of 2:13. It will not be easy! Hopefully the wind won't be a factor! But I do have some motivation--a time of less than 2:55 will virtually guarantee me a spot in the 2012 Boston Marathon.

Until then, lots of mileage, lots of speedwork and lots of tempo runs!

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff Wyatt.

    I am rooting for you and very positive that you will crush your PR.

    The physical training and quality miles are a vital ingredient in preparing yourself to propel forward to the next level but undoubtedly it will be your mental attitude that unlocks this door and it's very clear from the sentiments of your postings the past few weeks that you are oozing confidence.

    Keep it up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete